Friday 25 April 2014


Conversation Between Lupita Nyong’o And Her Beauty Icon Alek Wek





Alek Wek and Lupita Nyong’o are two women who have broken down barriers for young black women, while redefining the media’s perception of beauty over the past few years.

Back in February, at Essence’s Black Women In Hollywood luncheon, Lupita revealed that she used to be insecure in the skin she was born in, until she saw a supermodel who looked like her on the covers of magazines — and that model was Alek Wek. Recently, People Magazine arranged for the two women to meet over tea, and the moment was pure amazement!

Lupita dished:

I just remember seeing you on the cover of a magazine, and I don’t even know what magazine it was, but there was no apology in you. You were just who you were and I had never seen that before. How is this working? That she’s just who she is and she’s on the cover of these magazines? I’ve never seen anyone like me on the cover.

This is really a dream come true sitting here with you and talking about beauty and character. I know you never knew I existed until I came onto the scene but I think that’s the wonderful thing about being in some sort of public eye. You can affect and inspire people without knowing it. Your work is done and you have no idea. That’s really powerful so thank you for being that for me.

Alek also revealed during the sit down:


Much congratulations and all the beautiful words you said at Essence. You didn’t have to but it was really, really beautiful. It meant a lot because starting modeling in the 90s it was quite so surreal. They were like, ‘Oh you’re so different, so weird, so bizarre!’ I’m like, ‘I’m so normal, what are you talking about?’ I just love the geniuses that you bring toward to your craft and just you as a young lady. That totally shows through.

Credit: Necole Bitchie.com: Watch This Conversation Between Lupita Nyong’o And Her Beauty Icon Alek Wek

1 comment:

  1. I'm so touched as I love them both. So beautiful, flawless and original

    ReplyDelete